Videos must be added via the asset library only, not by pasting embed code into the page. This allows for metadata to display the embed from Youtube or Vimeo correctly (such as transcript, running time, title).
Accessibility requirements for videos
There are some important requirements for videos to meet accessibility standards. All videos must have closed captions and a transcript.
The transcript must be provided in HTML immediately after the video, and should include:
- Producer of content
- Text transcript within html format
- The name of the speaker
- All speech content
- Relevant non-speech audio
- Any textual or graphical information shown in the video
- Either an indication of the end of the transcript if on the same page as the video, or a link to return to the video if on another page.
These are text representations of the sounds on a video, timed with the action on screen.
When adding closed captions:
- use large font
- use high-contrast colours
- ensure the captions remain on screen long enough to be read
- ensure the captions can be turned on and off by the user
- attribute speech to the speaker.
Adding a video via URL
You add an embedded video to a content page via the Media browser icon. This automatically inserts the appropriate icon and file size.
How to add a video:
- Select a place for your video within the body area of your content page and create an empty line. Place your cursor on this line.
- Select the Media browser icon ("Media").
- Select the Embed video tab.
- Enter the YouTube URL for your video (e.g. ).
- Name: Add a title for the video.
- Length: Enter the video duration (e.g. 2 mins 30 secs).
- Summary: This is a short description of the video (e.g. Robyn Green from Robyn's Soap House talks about the challenges and rewards of turning a hobby into a business, how she found the information she needed, and some business success tips.)
- Transcript: A transcript should include the title, producer of content, text transcript, name of the speaker(s), any non-speech audio and any textual or graphical information shown in the video.
- Licence: Choose from the dropdown options.
- You can include restricted details:
- Audience – for example, Small business owner
- Department – for example, Business Victoria
- Topic – for example, Business
- URL alias: Leave this field blank.
- Select Save video once you’ve finished, then Embed.
- On the popup screen, click the Display as dropdown and select Embedded with transcript. If you don't select this, the eye icon and read transcript link won't appear below the video.
- Caption field: Leave this field blank.
- Click the Embed button.
Reviewed 05 May 2021